Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Writing Prompt Challenge Day #3

Writing Prompt Challenge #3
WC: 250
Genre: Crime
Char: Child hater
Material: binoculars
Quote: Everyone keeps ignoring me
Extra: Character hated by everyone


Dangling the binoculars strap from her index finger, Sandra raised her left eyebrow quizzically.

"I like to look at birds," Bert snarled defensively. Snatching the glasses away, he set them on the windowsill pulling the grimy curtain back into place, returning the room to what was obviously its customary claustrophobic gloom.

Waddling to the dingy sofa, he plopped down onto the beaten-to-exhaustion cushions with a loud groan. The detective struggled not to gag as an all but visible odor, reminiscent of mothballs, and musty, unwashed hair, assaulted her nose. 
She kept her reaction ruthlessly under control, unwilling to appear weak in front of her partner, who remained standing at the entrance to the cluttered room.

"I understand you were served with a cease and desist notice from city council because you were calling daily to complain about the neighborhood kids."
Bert’s face reddened. “They do it just to make me mad, but when I told the police they ignored me. Everyone always keeps ignoring me. I didn’t do anything to that kid, even though you all think I did. Everyone hates me!” he whined.

She was about to ask why, when without warning a three foot long monitor lizard emerged from under the coffee table, moving quickly toward her. Her gun was trained on it without conscious thought. 

As if intimidated by her action the beast stopped several feet away, giving her a cold reptilian stare, before opening its mouth in a threatening hiss.

There’s a good kitty,” Bert crooned.




No comments:

Post a Comment