Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Writing Prompt Challenge Day #2

Writing prompt challenge, Day 2 -
Word count: 250
Genre: adventure
Character: fascist
material: carrot
phrase: This means war
Optional: Civilization has come to an end
Fascists are icky people. Just sayin'…
__
I looked down upon the city which lay in ruins, collapsed buildings crushing the vehicles that had been fleeing the destruction. The end had come not with a whimper, but with a bang. Although there had been plenty of whimpering. Millions had died. And yet, there were still so many survivors.
I thought of some of those I’d come across in my travels, the ones that had threatened me, run me off, or even tried to kill me. They had tried and they failed.
The chaos of anarchy was a common denominator throughout the land. But now, things were about to change.
I looked across the lines of soldiers I'd recruited; the ones who believed in bringing order back to the world. I’d dangled the carrot, and they’d taken the bait, believing that under my leadership, we could and would restore civilization. But this time I was not going to let some weak, all-people-are-equal idiocy weaken the foundations of governance.
Everyone would do what I wanted, get what I allowed, and my generosity would keep them safe and fed, allow them utilities, and jobs. But only if they behaved.
A shot rang out. Behind me a scream and a thud as someone collapsed. There were calls for a medic, but I did not look back to see, my focus solely on those who stood against me and mine.
“Sir”! My top general approached. “They refused your offer. What now?
“It’s obvious,” I replied. “They didn’t listen. This means war!”

No comments:

Post a Comment